Monday, April 20, 2009

Mr. X

By Carl Sagan

This account was written in 1969 for publication in Marihuana Reconsidered (1971). Sagan was in his mid-thirties at that time. He continued to use cannabis for the rest of his life.


It all began about ten years ago. I had reached a considerably more relaxed period in my life - a time when I had come to feel that there was more to living than science, a time of awakening of my social consciousness and amiability, a time when I was open to new experiences. I had become friendly with a group of people who occasionally smoked cannabis, irregularly, but with evident pleasure. Initially I was unwilling to partake, but the apparent euphoria that cannabis produced and the fact that there was no physiological addiction to the plant eventually persuaded me to try. My initial experiences were entirely disappointing; there was no effect at all, and I began to entertain a variety of hypotheses about cannabis being a placebo which worked by expectation and hyperventilation rather than by chemistry. After about five or six unsuccessful attempts, however, it happened. Click here to continue...

13 comments:

  1. I wonder what Sagan would say if he had a better understanding of cannabis?

    What if he had known that it can be purified and used to cure cancer? ( http://PhoenixTears.ca )

    What if he knew that it could be used as a natural remediator for toxic spills?

    What if he understood the true reasons--corporate greed and racism--that were behind making cannabis illegal in the first place? ( http://JackHerer.com )

    What if he had even the slightest idea of how cannabis users and promoters would be persecuted and prosecuted for just trying to live their own lives and informing the people about the truth? ( http://CannabisCulture.com )

    What if he knew even a fraction of what we know now?

    What if?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something tells me he probably did, but maybe only when he was high?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have agreed more with every single word this man says. This was probably the first time in my life I wanted to finish reading an essay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cats, what a beautiful mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i gotta read this when i'm high. i could probably find myself pondering the same topics he did. omg the detail on this essay is so tantalizing, i felt as if i was high just reading the essay. and yes what a pleasant intellect this man had. ohh and yeah the essay was really addicting, it's an awesome feeling to crave knowledge and insight from others, when it's put so delightfully well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow is right. Thank you! I read it high..will read not under influence next..then maybe comment more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sagan managed to capture the more mature, deeper aspects of what it means to be positively influenced by cannabis. I wasn't under the influence reading his essay, but afterwards I feel different. Some how I think it triggered production of my endocannabinoids. It happened about 20 seconds after I finished reading it.

    'Potent stuff' - I'm sure we'd all agree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man i tried to be as inspiring as carl sagan, but i realized that even successful people like obama & bush used it at one point in time and they're not messed-up. When i'm doing my Masters i will surely review marijauna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carl Sagan was a visionary like no other. However, I disagree with several points in his essay. For one thing, each person's reaction to any given mood altering substance is likely to be unique; one's specific brain chemistry, past experiences, personality, etc, will effect the reaction. Sagan's highs sound amazing and intricate, befitting his incredible mind. I suspect that most people just get a little mellow from their cannabis high. Secondly, people who are high, drunk, stoned, or otherwise in a mood altered state universally believe that they are able to drive without impairment. Just ask them! They are almost always wrong. The last thing we need is more impaired drivers on the road. Stay home!! Finally, there are meditative states which will produce intense alterations of perception and consciousness. I am unconvinced that we need chemicals in order to achieve those results. It strikes me as being "fast food" for the brain; instead of taking the path which requires commitment and dedication, we go for the quick fix. (And we know what happens from too much fast food, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I couldn't agree more that everyone will experience it differently - the psyche of the individual plays a major role, making legalization problematic. My personal experience is like Carl's, for which I feel blessed - new doors are opened with every experience. As Carl stated, he wasn't advocating driving high, just that it was possible without the same risk level as driving drunk.

    I agree that certain people can certainly be enlightened without the use of drugs, but disagree with the "fast food" analogy. I prefer to think of it as a tool - properly used it's power enhances that of the person using it - used improperly and the consequences can be dire.

    As with any tool, with proper education and moderation in use, immense value can be gained from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carl's words are like a string of colorful pearls gently gliding you along a visual and intellectual path of certain awareness, eagerly sweeping you through one perfectly executed sentence after another - the audience continually, yet patiently awaiting the next. His words are so easy to follow, and the picture he lays so inviting. He may have never quite realized it before but he has a way with words that is very much the essence of art itself. Yes Carl, you WERE an artist indeed.

    To interested parties, take a minute to check out the tribute to Carl Sagan shirt that I designed for zombieteeco.com: http://zombietees.blogspot.com/2009/12/billions.html

    We are currently rethinking the phrase on it to be a little closer to something that Carl himself would be pleased with, so please check back in a day or two if it's not up when you visit. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did'nt discover Carl Sagan until about 4 years ago. Thats when I found out I had many things in common with this man, before I even knew who he was, such as a love of cannabis, a love of critical thinking, and a wonderment of the universe. Since coming to this realisation, I have tried to consume and soak up as much of his work as I can, and use him as a role model. And what a great role model to have in a world where superficial, overpaid apes are offered to children as demi-gods. I wish Dr Sagan was still around to teach me more, but will forever be grateful that I ever found such a great influence at all. A meeting of minds and ideas, almost by accident and yet it seems almost like a destiny. The journey has been interesting thus far, and continues daily. For that, Dr Sagan, I thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.