by Lester Grinspoon
Every age has its peculiar folly and if Charles Mackay, the author of the 19th century classic, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds were alive today he would surely see "cannabinophobia" as a popular delusion along with the "tulipmania" and "witch hunts" of earlier ages. I believe that we are now at the cusp of this particular popular delusion which to date has been responsible for the arrest of over twelve million US citizens. I also believe that future historians will look at this epoch and recognize it as another instance of the "madness of crowds." Many readers of this Web site have already arrived at this understanding, but for some of us enlightenment came later than we would have wished. Consistent with the goal of my Uses of Marijuana Project of encouraging users to write about their involvement with cannabis, I thought I would share something of my cannabis enlightenment, a story that now spans a third of a century. Click here to continue...
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I HAVE BEEN AWARE OF THE BENEFITS OF MODERATE USE OF MARIJUANA FOR OVER THREE DECADES. OF COURSE, ALL I HAD WAS MY NON-PROFESSIONAL OPINION. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK.
ReplyDeleteIt is my sincerest hope that your experience and the facts presented by your story will reach the hearts and minds of those who shape future generation. I deeply appreciate everything that you have done for your fellow man.
ReplyDelete... generations*.
ReplyDeletefinally a concerned user that can make a difference with the way cannabis is viewed by the media and legislation. Great article
ReplyDeleteI find your article very factual!I have had to pay the price of our Country's crazy laws and lies!!!!If every true head would admitt they enjoy an occaisional Nug,then the good old US ofA would be a much safer and better land it would beeeeee.Stop sending young non-violent folks to Prison!What kind of civilized country would do that too it's citizens?I will fight for my right to 'just say know",I've given up too many years of my life to stop now!So roll me another one tastier then the other one!praise JA!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow!!! I truely enjoyed reading this essay and with a great feeling that it came from such a credible source. I am currently writing an essay myself for my psych class and will include some of your thoughts and professional opinions expressed here (Of course with the proper citations to acknowledge it's yours and not mine). Thank You for not being afraid to "come out".
ReplyDeleteThank you for, as a parent and professional, speaking out about "cannabinophobia". Our family experienced this directly a year and a half ago when my son, Kieran, spoke up for marijuana at school, and made comparisons between the negative effects of alcohol and tobacco as compared to marijuana. He was threatened with police action, he then held a protest for his freedom to speak about marijuana, and this hit the news all across Canada. Kieran is an A student and was almost given 0s for two of his final exams, as he was not allowed to write them. I pursued every avenue in defense of my child who had never even seen marijuana up close. I ended up losing my teaching certificate for a few months after I publicly spoke out in defense of my son, as "my role as a parent conflicted with my role" as an employee of the school division (I had taken leave by then)... All my son had done was dare to speak the truth about marijuana. The promoters of the Prohibition of marijuana have caused this paranoia within our society.
ReplyDelete